On 11/13/17 02:59, Peter Humphrey wrote:
Hello list,

I'm hunting a problem with cooling in this box, and I've got as far as
suspecting my new AMD WX 5100 GPU.

One of my BOINC projects causes the GPU temperature, as shown by gkrellm, to
shoot up to 75C or more and cause intolerable system cooling noise. If I
suspend that project but leave the other seven running, the temperature
returns to what I hope is a normal 55C. Those seven projects are supposed to
use the GPU, but I'm not sure whether they do in fact.

Is there any way I can monitor what is using the GPU, to find out?

I don't know if there's a utility for consumer level cards that can do this. I do remember for Nvidia there's nvidia-smi but I don't think it will list processes for desktop cards.

The only other generic ones I can think of are cuda-z and gputop. Have you tried one of those? Although I don't think it'll give you the information you need either.

Dan