On 06/12/2017 00:35, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
> On 2017-12-06 05:53, Bill Kenworthy wrote:
>
>> No, all machines are set up as keyless ssh - git has never needed it
>> there.  In frustration I created keys and set portage up as a keyless
>> ssh account as well, no change.
>
> ssh messages are sometimes misleading.  For instance, ssh would say
> something like "pubkey authentication failed" when in fact I prohibited
> root logins on the server.
>
> I'd try connecting with bare ssh as the user in question, with maximum
> verbosity turned on (-vvv).

The error messages from the ssh client are, by design, intentionally
vague. They amount to a teeny bit more detail than just "something went
wrong", plus the available auth methods listed in parenthesis.

This is because the sshd server avoids information leakage that
attackers could use.

To find out why ssh does not work, start by looking at the server logs,
then examine the client is nothing obvious stands out.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com