(I've got a bad habit of saving unfinished emails in the drafts folder and then
forgetting
about them.  I found this one while cleaning it up and thought it might still
be informative.)

Am Samstag, 15. Juli 2017, 17:47:18 CEST schrieb Peter Humphrey:
> On Saturday 15 Jul 2017 16:07:26 Marc Joliet wrote:

> > [...]
> > >
> > > It showed me that I'd changed "masters =" to "masters = gentoo" in
> > > layout.conf, which I knew because I'd been told to at some time.
> >
> > That's ridiculous.  You're configuring the main portage tree to be a
> > master of itself.  Search for "masters" in portage(5) for an explanation
> > of what that option is for (it's mainly interesting for overlays).
>
> Nevertheless, I did only follow an instruction in a Gentoo wiki page. It
> said the change was "for future compatibility" or some such. I wouldn't just
> have made it up for myself.

Hmm, now that you mention it, I vaguely remember something like that.  (Also,
for a
better explanation of masters, see [0].)

Searching for it now (longer than I should have), I see it's a warning from
portage that you
get when you leave it out completely.

[0] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Repository_format/metadata/layout.conf#masters
--