Michael Orlitzky <m...@gentoo.org> writes:

> On 12/08/2017 09:53 AM, Melleus wrote:
>> I had moved to v 17.0 profile mostly painless, though it was a time
>> consuming event. But I got one point anyway. Python in my system was
>> updated from 3.4 to 3.5 and after 3.4 was removed with depclean, the
>> option for v 3.4 in eselect python remains. It looks a bit weird to me
>> when I can choose with eselect the version of python that is not
>> currently present in the system. Is this intended behavior?
>
> Guessing: no. (What happens if you select it?)
It selects, but when attempting to run Python it falls back to v3.5

> There might be some python-3.4 stuff left on your system that tricks
> eselect into thinking that python-3.4 is installed. For example, in
> eselect-php we do,
>
>   find_targets() {
>     cd "@LIBDIR@" && echo php*.*
>   }
>
> and that is easily fooled by creating any file in /usr/lib/php-x.y.
I could not find any remnants of Python v3.4 in my system. Though I'm
more academician than a IT guru. I moved to Gentoo as the last
mainstream distribution free from systemd. I like its flexibility, but
the maintenance of a binary distribution would be much less burden for
me and for my quite old hardware.

> You might have to dig through eselect-python to see how it works, or ask
> somebody who knows.
After some digging in the files I commented out v3.4 line in
/etc/python-exec/python-exec.conf by hand and eselect then begins to
work as I expect. The question is that I think that I should not edit
that file by hand. So is it a bug or might I done something wrong?

Thank you for pointing me in right direction.

Regards,
Anatoly.