On Mon, 18 Dec 2017 19:15:04 +0000
Hunter Jozwiak <hunter.t....@gmail.com> wrote:
On 12/18/17, Mick <michaelkintz...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Monday, 18 December 2017 05:11:20 GMT Hunter Jozwiak wrote:
Hmm. I have kernel 4.14.7 and linux-firmware 20171206. I tried version
999999999 as well, but that didn't help matters, either. Nor did
compiling the firmware into the kernel; either 4.14 is too old, or it
is too new.

I'd think they are both too new?

I tried copying the firmware my live iso was using, but
that didn't help either.

If the live iso works, start with using the same kernel release and linux-
firmware version, to see if this works as expected on your installation.
Then
update kernel sources and firmware to the latest stable and see if this
works
too.

From there on you can move into ~arch to find the version at which things
break.
--
Regards,
Mick

Hi,

I was a little bit confused from your earlier mentioned

   /lib/firmware/ath10k/QCABLEFAGD/HW3.0

I wonder where this firmware come from. I cannot find it, neither with the identifier ‘QCABLEFAGD’ nor an upper cased ‘HW3.0’ directory in [1][2][3][4].

Your log tells an other story now. As far as I can tell:

   “Direct firmware load for […] failed with error -2”

comes from _request_firmware and fw_get_filesystem_firmware functions in file [5]. The symbolic error name ENOENT, see `man 3 errno`, means something like ‘No such element’ or ‘No such file or directory’.

Even CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE_DIR defaults to ‘/lib/firmware’, there should be whether an entry ‘# CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE_DIR is not set’ or something like ‘CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE_DIR="/lib/firmware"’ in your config. Its unclear to me why it is not there.

If you want to build into the kernel again, check ‘/lib/firmware/ath10k/QCA6174/hw2.1/firmware-6.bin’ exists and set:

   CONFIG_FIRMWARE_IN_KERNEL=y
   CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE="ath10k/QCA6174/hw2.1/firmware-6.bin"
   CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE_DIR="/lib/firmware"

Hope that helps.

[1]
<https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git/log/ath10k>
[2]