On 12/20/2017 11:28:31 AM, Vadim A. Misbakh-Soloviov wrote:
В письме от среда, 20 декабря 2017 г. 17:04:33 +07 пользователь Helmut
Jarausch написал:
> Hi,
> I have no experience with GIT.
>
> I'd like to determine if a GIT repository in Gentoo is up-to-date.
> Normally, a GIT folder has a '.git' subfolder. Using 'git status' in
> such a GIT folder works fine.
>
> But the subfolders in /usr/portage/distfiles/git3-src don't contain a
> '.git' subfolder.
> A plain 'git status' in such a subfolder doesn't work - I get "fatal:
> This operation must be run in a work tree".
>
> Is there a means to determine the status of a Gentoo-GIT-folder?
>
> Background: I'd like to check if anything has changed in the GIT
> repository before I run an 'emerge -u' for that.
>
> Many thanks for a hint,
> Helmut

1) there is no "Gentoo-GIT-folder". The things in $DISTDIR/git3-src is called "bare" repositories (i.e. it is that ".git" folder itself, without "unpacked"
work tree, like you have in $PORTDIR)
2) Although, all the ways to check it would be too hard for your purpose. 3) but there is nice tool for your purpose: it's called `app-portage/smart-
live-rebuild`.
So, just emerge it, and then just run `emerge @smart-live-rebuild` (it
provides special virtual set) periodically. It will perform all the checks for
you.

Many thanks! This looks like it saves me a lot of work ( I was willing to write a Python script myself).
Helmut