I don't know.

If it was a kernel issue directly, I'm pretty sure that manually
switching wouldn't be a viable workaround to begin with.  The fact
that the manual method still works means that your kernel and actual
video handling code is probably fine.

The fact that it won't work automiatcally, but still can work
manually, strongly hints at a configuration issue.  Though after your
reply I'm not sure if it's something in /etc or if a setting in your
kernel configuration is messed up.