On 29/12/2017 16:30, Peter Humphrey wrote:
> On Friday, 29 December 2017 13:57:31 GMT Alan Mackenzie wrote:
>
>> I think the bug is that "A4" has to be set in so many places, where "so
>> many" means more than one.  In a well designed printing system, there
>> would be just one place to set it.
>
> And that would have to be /etc/papersize, no?

No, not really. IIRC that comes from ages back in time when lpd was all
the rage and really refers to the computer *driving* the printer, not
the computer *using* the printer

Nowadays you can have as many printers as you want (even printers that
are not physical objects, like pdf) and each printer can have as many
different page sizes as it has trays.

The only "correct" place for papersize nowadays is in whatever the user
is using to get something to print. And there are lots of those.
Something like CUPS ought to make it all so much easier but I find CUPS
just makes my life insanely difficult. So I mail my docs to my wife and
she prints them from Windows for me

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com