On Mon, Jan 8, 2018 at 4:43 PM, Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org> wrote:
>   There are "athlons" and then there are "athlons".  Check the gcc page
> https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-6.4.0/gcc/x86-Options.html#x86-Options
> for an idea of what's what.  You need at least the "k8" version.  The
> ultimate way to find out is to download the amd64 minimal install ISO
> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Full/Installation#Obtain_the_media
> and try to boot off it.

I was under the impression that disabling SMP on single core systems
could lead to a performance increase, but wasn't necessary.

Is the deciding factor actually processor family? And - there are GCC
versions or distributions that have already dropped support for x86_64
processors? I'd only read about 32 bit families being dropped.