On 2017-12-05, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwa...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Good question. I've been using a pie-enabled gcc 7.2 for months
>>> before the 17.0 profile switch and both acroread and skype (the
>>> new one) still work, so chances are your stuff will too.
>>
>> Years ago when I used acroread I found it quite irritating that it
>> came with its own bundled gtk and pretty much everything else.  If
>> it's still that way it's probably the reason why it is unaffected
>> by the change.
>>
>> I don't know if Grant's binaries are of similar persuasion.
>
> No, they depend on the host environment for all libraries that are
> not unique to the application: libc, libstdc++, Qt, gtk, xml,
> crypto, ssl, etc.

FWIW, I finished rebuilding world w/ 17.0 over the weekend, and it
looks like my third-party binaries all work the same as they did
before.  That's what I expected based on my understanding of the PIE
change: it didn't change the ABI or the way dynamic library linkage
worked.

I did have to grab the qtwebkit:4 ebuild out of the attic, but that's
apparently still working too.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! Of course, you
                                  at               UNDERSTAND about the PLAIDS