On 08/01/18 13:52, Rich Freeman wrote:
> There is also a lot of discussion on lkml about the right fix.  We
> might very well end up seeing both AMD- and Intel-specific fixes with
> conditional logic.  The two vendors don't really seem to be
> coordinating on this.  Intel is pushing patches that apparently don't
> work on AMD, or aren't necessary on AMD.  AMD for its part hasn't been
> pushing much in public at all, but has made a few list posts, and they
> have that mystery microcode update.

Probably not much point co-operating. The *internals* of AMD chips and
Intel chips are very different. I suspect both of them have a RISC core
with an x86 instruction set interpretation layer, but that's where the
similarities end ...

Bit like expecting a turbo-prop engine company to co-ordinate their
designs with a piston engine company. The two engines might look very
similar on the outside, but the internal machinery bears no resemblance
whatsoever one to the other.

Cheers,
Wol