On 02/03 10:41, Dale wrote:
> tu...@posteo.de wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > after installing linux-4.15.1 (downloaded from kernel.org) I want to
> > reinstall (beside others) nvidia drivers.
> >
> > Emerge told me:
> > |    >emerge nvidia-drivers
> > |    Calculating dependencies... done!
> > |    >>> Jobs: 0 of 0 complete                           Load avg: 1.05,
> > 0.65, 0.34
> > |    >>> Auto-cleaning packages...
> > |
> > |    >>> No outdated packages were found on your system.
> >

> > That is valid for the previous installed kernel...but not for the one
> >
> > This was updated just before
> > Sun Feb  4 04:21:46 2018 <<< sys-apps/portage-2.3.23
> > Sun Feb  4 04:21:51 2018 >>> sys-apps/portage-2.3.24
> >
> > My make.conf has this options:
> > EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--jobs=4 --load-average=4 --changed-deps-report=n
> > --changed-deps"
> >

> > Thanks for any help in advance!
> >
> > Cheers
> > Meino
> >

> I tested this here.  Like you, I added --changed-deps to make.conf with
> the plan to remove it later.  It seems when that is put there, it
> doesn't emerge like it usually would.  It acts like it is looking for a
> update not a re-emerge of the same version.  However, when I removed
> that option, it works as it should.  I don't know why it does that but
> that is what it is doing.  So, remove --changed-deps and try again.  It
> should work.
>
> Is that a bug?  Don't know.  It may be that it is intentional but maybe
> it shouldn't be.
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> Dale
>
> :-)  :-)

Hi Dale,

thanks for the info and help!

Just a few seconds before I found the reason for all that reasons :)

It seems that -- exactly as you said -- this option prevents
reemergeing of the same packages again.

If you want to force an update "gnu/foobar" (for example) you need to
submit

    emerge --selective=n gnu/foobar

which temporarily overwrites --changed-deps.

By the way: I appreciate helps like yours much more than just pointing
to the obvious docs. ;)

Cheers!
Meino