I am trying to package software whose build process (autotools based)
depends on a variable "ABI" to determine (on x86 and amd64 arch at least)
whether to build as 64 bit or 32 bit.  If it is not set externally, the
configure script sets it by inspecting the native pointer size of the C
compiler, to either "64" or "32".

Naturally, I thought the cleanest way for a package was to leave it
unset and let configure choose the native value.  But somehow it ends up
with a setting "amd64" and then complains that it is not one of the
expected values.  I am stuck determining where that value comes from.
Is it portage?  If so, how to change or disable it?  Is it safe to just
do the following?

ABI='' ./configure