zlg wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 27, 2018 at 01:22:57PM -0600, Dale wrote:
>> Ian Zimmerman wrote:

>>> So, what _is_ the recommended set of emerge flags for regular daily or
>>> weekly updates (assuming no binary packages)?
>>>

>> Over the years, I've ended up with this command and options set that
>> seem to work pretty well for most everything.  This is in make.conf:
>>
>> EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--with-bdeps y --backtrack=100 --keep-going -v -j5
>> --quiet-build=n -1 --unordered-display"
>>
>> After I run eix-sync, I then run emerge -uaDN world and give the updates
>> a looking over, to make sure the USE flags are like I want etc etc.  I
>> started out with fewer options but as issues popped up or options were
>> added that made things work better, they were added.  Some are done in
>> make.conf to make sure they are the default for every command, unless I
>> override it on the command line.  So far, it has resulted in a fairly
>> stable system even if I have some arch packages installed, KDE for
>> example.
>>
>> As usual, you may need something different but that has worked for me
>> and could be a starting point at least.
>>
>> Hope that helps.
>>
>> Dale
>>
>> :-)  :-)
>>
>> P. S.  On the rare occasion I want to add something to the world file, I
>> either do it directly or use --select y to override the -1 in
>> make.conf.  That helps keep the world file from getting cluttered up to
>> no end with things that shouldn't be there.
>>
> I recently took --oneshot out of EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS due to failing to
> find --select y; now I can add it back in. Thanks for the tip!
>
> ~zlg

For a while, I had to remove it to add things to the world file, or add
it directly.  I don't know if the option wasn't there or I just couldn't
find it.  Either way, it sure does help to have that on by default.
Without it the world file can easily turn into a mess.

Glad the post helped one person at least.  ;-)

Dale

:-)  :-)