Hello,

On Tue, 27 Mar 2018, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
>Example from app-editors/emacs/emacs-24.5-r5 :
>
>SRC_URI="mirror://gnu/emacs/${P}.tar.xz
>        https://dev.gentoo.org/~ulm/emacs/${P}-patches-4.tar.xz";

It means take one of the list specified in /etc/portage/mirrors/ or
${PORTAGE_DIR}/profiles/thirdpartymirrors

==== man 5 portage =====
       /etc/portage/
[..]
              mirrors
                     Whenever portage encounters a mirror:// style URI it will
                     look up the actual hosts here.  If the mirror set is  not
                     found  here,  it  will  check  the global mirrors file at
                     /usr/portage/profiles/thirdpartymirrors.
====

See also https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GENTOO_MIRRORS

So, using your example, portage looks up the mirror for mirror://gnu
by looking in /etc/portage/mirrors (if it exists) and
/usr/portage/profiles/thirdpartymirrors for a line with the word "gnu"
at the beginning, and then tries the mirrors specified there. I.e.:

# grep '^gnu[[:space:]]' /usr/portage/profiles/thirdpartymirrors
gnu             http://ftpmirror.gnu.org/ http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/

So, portage will try http://ftpmirror.gnu.org/emacs/${P}.tar.xz and
http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/${P}.tar.xz to retrieve the tarball.

HTH,
-dnh

--
"one of the ill effects of Microsoft's software is having to pay for it.
Lusers who pirate it are escaping this particular ill effect and aren't