Bill Kenworthy <bi...@iinet.net.au> wrote:
> On 02/04/18 13:41, Martin Vaeth wrote:
>> Bill Kenworthy <bi...@iinet.net.au> wrote:
>>> I use the palemoon overlay.
>> There is also the octopus overlay.
>> Anyway, both can only react to upstream.
>>
>>> builds fine with gcc-6.4
>> Yes, but it has random crashes which do not occur with gcc-5,
>> and as somebody familiar with the code posted somewhere,
>> the reasons are quite some assumptions in assembler code
>> which should not have been made. (I simply repeated these
>> claims without checking them.)
>>
>> Upstream knows about it and therefore officially does not
>
> Pretty stable for me - ymmv.

Yes. I also used to compile it with gcc-6. It segfaulted
only occassionally unless you visit "wrong" pages.
But it is not the user experience why I mentioned this but
the underlying problem these instabilities indicate.
(And BTW, with gcc-7 I never succeeded to compile; I had patched
some dozen problems, but eventually decided it is too much work.)