On 04/06/2018 11:58 AM, Mick wrote:
I think you mean IKEv2 + IPSec?

I don't remember IKE<anything> involved the last time I had to manually set up an IPSec connection between two Windows systems (or Windows and a Netgear router). I think it was /completely/ manual and PSK.

IKEv2 is used to exchange keys and IPSec is used to set up and encrypt the tunnel itself. The tunnel is operating at layer 2, so TCP/UDP/ICMP will all be encrypted when sent through through the IPSec encrypted tunnel.

I remember doing a little bit with IKE 10+ years ago back when it was OpenSWAN / FreeSWAN.

This is using L2TP for encapsulating the frames + IKEv1 for secure key exchange + IPsec for encryption of the L2TP tunnel.

ACK

Well said:

*chuckle*

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point-to-Point_Tunneling_Protocol#Security

It is an obsolete method with poor security. I would not use it under any circumstances, unless security is of no importance.

Agreed.

As I mentioned before, there is also IKEv2+IPSec, which allows the client to roam between networks without dropping the connection.

Intriguing. I've never considered IPSec with a road warrior, much less an established connection with a changing IP address. I would have been much more likely to look at OpenVPN or Wireguard or OpenSSH.

Finally, there is SSTP encrypting PPP frames within TLS. I don't know why one would use this instead of OpenVPN, except that it comes as part of the MSWindows package, while OpenVPN has to be installed separately.

SSTP is a new one on me.

+1

They are also easier to set up initially, because both MSWindows peers will use the same combo of encryption suites, ciphers, etc. Half of the pain of getting MSWindows to work with a Linux VPN gateway is often finding how to configure the cipher, hash and X509v3 extensions of a TLS certificate in a way that MSWindows will not barf; e.g. IIRC, last time I looked at a Windows 7 IKEv2/IPSec VPN, the TLS certificates would only accept AES128 keys and SHA1. Anything more onerous would not be accepted by the MSoft TLS key manager.

Agreed.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die