On Fri, Apr 20, 2018 at 11:19 AM, Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> I'm about to make some DVDs to be played in a DVD player, not computer
> but for TV.  I have been using DVD+R and they work fine.  I've made
> quite a few of them.  My friend bought another spindle of 100 that are
> DVD-R.  Note the difference of + and - there.  I suspect it will play
> fine but I don't want to open the spindle, burn a few, find out it
> doesn't play and be stuck with DVD discs, at least 90 or so more, that
> are basically of no use.  If it won't work, I'd rather him swap them out
> now and get what we know works instead of getting stuck.
>
> I'm using DeVeDe 3.23.0 software to create the DVD and K3b to burn
> them.  I think Devede creates a ISO image for K3b to burn if that helps
> any.  It's been a while since I made a DVD.
>
> I'm pretty sure they bought their DVD player just a few years ago.  Will
> DVD-Rs play the same as DVD+R in modern ones or are they still picky?
>
> Oh, the only DVD player I have is my puter so I'm not going to claim I
> know them things real well.  ;-)
>
> Thanks.
>
> Dale
>
> :-)  :-)

Hi Dale,
   It TOTALLY depends on the DVD player. Different players, different
specs. My input is check the specs. You can burn 1 or 2 and try, but
if the player isn't spec'ed for DVD-R then it might work today but be
flaky tomorrow.

   BTW - I recently moved my wife's laptop off of Gentoo replacing it
with Kubuntu. Only reason I bring it up is I bought a package of DVD+R
to burn some boot DVDs and found her machine (and my mom's which is
the same Asus G73JW model) won't read DVD+R but works fine with DVD-R.
Sadly, I'll be switching my main machine away from Gentoo after now
close to 17 years of using nothing but Gentoo. That's a long run
having started in 2002/2003. My machine has no trouble with either
type.

   Anyway, good luck.

Mark