On Sunday, 22 April 2018 12:13:53 BST Mick wrote:
> On Sunday, 22 April 2018 10:21:16 BST Peter Humphrey wrote:
> > That first thought was prompted by the instruction to "mount -o bind /lib/
> > modules /foo/lib/modules" in this page:
> >
> > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:X86/Chroot_Guide
>
> I didn't do a detailed comparison, but you may want to take a look at the
> Handbook, the chroot mounts appear to be different.

I think I've found the problem. It's in the -march setting, which of course
has to be specific in the chroot, not "native." I had it set to "silvermont,"
but now I can't see why I did that. The target CPU is a celeron N3150, which
according to an Intel site is "Products formerly Braswell" [1]. None of the
Gentoo or GCC optimisation sites I could find even mention braswell,
silvermont or model 76.

So I changed make.conf to braswell, and now I get "error: bad value (braswell)
for -march= switch" from the compiler during any emerge. Now, does that mean I
can't switch from silvermont to braswell, or does it also imply that, if I
start installing again from scratch, I won't be able to switch from whatever's
in the stage-3 tarball to braswell either?

Perhaps I should just try it and see.

1.      https://ark.intel.com/products/codename/66094/Braswell

--
Regards,