On Thursday, 7 June 2018 08:37:41 BST zless wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just finished installing kernel 4.14.48 on two
> Intel laptops and I have different results for
>
> /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/spec_store_bypass
>
> On one of them it looks nice:
> "Mitigation: Speculative Store Bypass disabled via prctl and seccomp"
> but on the other it still says "Vulnerable".
>
> Any idea on what might influence this? The kernel configs are fairly
> similar, the only thing that's different is the microcode, which is from
> 2017 for the "vulnerable" one.
>
> Thanks

I would think it is cause by the microcode.

I have two really old Intel laptops and despite announcements to the contrary
I noticed the latest (stable) sys-firmware/intel-microcode-20180527-r1 changed
the Intel microcode version being loaded on both PCs, after I rebuilt the
kernel (4.9.95) to incorporate it (no initrd on either of them).

I see this for Spectre V2 which now includes IBPB and IBRS_FW:

$ dmesg | grep Spectre
[    0.011385] Spectre V2 : Mitigation: Full generic retpoline
[    0.011507] Spectre V2 : Spectre v2 mitigation: Enabling Indirect Branch
Prediction Barrier
[    0.011645] Spectre V2 : Enabling Restricted Speculation for firmware calls

After you updated sys-firmware/intel-microcode did you rebuild and reboot the
*rebuilt* kernel on both PCs?

PS.  For good measure I ran make clean first, but I'm not sure if this affects
the firmware.

--
Regards,
Mick