On Tuesday 18 October 2005 04:34 pm, Holly Bostick wrote:
> > For Holly's case, I'm wondering if she's syncing against a system
> > that doesn't mirror that file from upstream?  Just a guess.
>
> I sync against the Netherlands rsync pool,
> SYNC="rsync://rsync.nl.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage".
>
> I suppose what you say is possible, but does not seem to be the case.

I figured you sync'd daily Holly; I wouldn't have expected any less. ;-)

The question is, however, if you and I both sync daily and, although file
times suggest they have been updated, but the file contents are different,
where would the problem lie?

The only guess I could come up with is the upstream mirror.  I sync against
http://gentoo.osuosl.org/, and you're syncing against the netherlands pool.
Either one themselves could be sync'd against another mirror which is sync'd
against another mirror...

Somewhere along the line I'm guessing that perhaps this particular file is not
fetched/updated for some reason which would leave one of us with an outdated
copy.

I know mine comes out of CVS with the header
$Header: /var/cvsroot/gentoo-x86/profiles/use.local.desc,v 1.1502 2005/10/18
00:03:00 vapier Exp $, so I'm guessing that I have the later file.