> Ühel kenal päeval, T, 03.07.2018 kell 14:00, kirjutas gevisz:
>> Are you, by any chance, running this command through something like
>> > lxc-attach or ssh?
>> > I had the exact same problem two days ago and it turned out to be
>> > something about the
>> > environment being passed to the remote system. Sourcing
>> > /etc/profile did the trick.
>>
>> No, I do it on my desktop staying just in front of me.
>> So, no need for ssh (and I do not know what lxc-attach is at all).
>>
>> Still, sourcing /etc/profile somehow helped:
>
> How do you obtain root privileges for the command?

su

> If you use su, you should be using "su -" (or "su -l" or "su --login"),
> not "su".

I have used only "su" for already 3 years, since switched to Gentoo
from Ubuntu and never had any problems with it.

Could you explain a little bit more why "su -" should be used instead.

>From the man page I've got the following:

-, -l, --login
    Provide an environment similar to what the user would expect had
    the user logged in directly.

But I cannot see why I need the original root environment,
especially if I never set it up.

> If you use sudo, you might need to pass -i (--login) option to it.

I hate using sudo since I have been forced to use it in Ubuntu.