On Fri, Jul 6, 2018 at 4:43 PM Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2018-07-06, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Now that the public key stuff is working again (knock on wood), I'm
> > curious if it's usual for an emerge --sync to take 10-15 minutes
> > longer than it used due to the "Verifying /usr/portage" step.
> >
> > On some systems (with fewer packages installed) it only takes a minute
> > or less. But, on my "main" desktop system it takes 10-15 minutes every
> > time.
>
> I cleared out /usr/portage/distfiles, and the verify time dropped to
> about 10 seconds.  I should probably do that more often...

Assuming it is reproducible it is probably a bug.

That said, I always move distfiles to someplace like /var/cache.  I
guess /usr/portage should probably be in there as well, though I would
not mix my distfiles with my repository for a number of reasons.  I
think it is just inertia preserving the current situation as I can't
imagine anybody involved in portage/council/etc really would design it
this way today.

You can tweak this in make.conf with DISTDIR=...

--
Rich