On Wednesday 19 October 2005 12:09 am, Phill MV wrote:
> Well, it's just weird. What if said person is engaging in harassment?

That's a separate can of worms altogether.  First you'd have to prove to the
court that you are actually getting harrassed.  A statement like the one
automagically appended would have nothing to do with that situation.

> Is it
> then illegal to go about spam if they include the little disclaimer?

Well, I think that's different as well.  The spammers want you to share the
spam with your friends/family/coworkers as they want the clicks/sales.

A statement like the one that was on the OPs email would suggest that sort of
thing was not wanted...

> It
> doesn't make sense to me :P but oh well.

Me either.  I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to the law, but I've been
known to crack open a few books when necessary.

Basically it's a CYA move by the companies to allow for litigation should one
of their employees let something slip...

> That's a different case. IIRC the guy who leaked the info on the iPod
> shuffle/Mac mini broke an NDA he signed with Apple - which is then
> perfectly legal. Trade secrets and the like, I suppose.

But I think had that been an internal apple employee that sent it to an
individual without an NDA, just a buddy he wanted to give a heads up to, and
that buddy posted it on the net, the court may look at the wording of the
blurb and apply a similar ruling.

Then again, the whole thing might get thrown out by the court, but by that
time you're bankrupt because you try to stand up for yourself.