On Wed, Aug 29, 2018 at 08:22:31AM +0100, Neil Bothwick wrote
> On Tue, 28 Aug 2018 22:39:51 -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
>
> >   Given this info, I can cobble together a short script.  A "for" loop
> > cycles through "*.jpg".  Read "CreateDate" from the EXIF data, and feed
> > it into the "touch" command, which would reset the physical file
> > datestamp.
>
> You don't even need that, exiftool has a FileModifyDate tag, which is the
> filesystem date not an EXIF tag, so you can simply set FileModifyDate to
> CreateDate for each file.
>
> exiftool '-FileModifyDate<CreateDate' *.jpg

  Cool; I wasn't aware of that.  Definitely shorter than my version...

#!/bin/bash
for filename in *.jpg
do
   datestamp0=`exiftool -T -CreateDate ${filename} | sed "s/[ :]//g"`
   datestamp="${datestamp0:0:12}.${datestamp0:12:2}"
   touch -t ${datestamp} ${filename}
done

  I tried out your command on a few directories going back to April (I
got the phone in March) and it works fine.  I have the directories
sorted by date, and the generated datestamps match the day.  Also, the
hour:minute stamps monotonitcally rise with the image sequence numbers,
which is a good sign.

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>