Hi all,
        A bit of an off topic question , mainly aimed at those who, shall we
say, been there and done that.

        It is very common to find webpages stating that the BIOS that is in a
PC is a mess with respect to the way things boot, device discovery  etc.
Looking back through the fog of time, would anyone like to point me at
something that gets a computer from a not running state to a running
state and, in their opinion, does it the "right" way,  in an elegant,
extensible way.

        This is not to start a flame war, I just want to do some reading,
wikipedia pages, for self interest on how a BIOS could have/should have
been done. I'm thinking of how DECStations, Alpha's SPARCs etc etc
booted up.

        Any thoughts greatly appreciated,

                Andrew