On 10/18/05, Heinz Sporn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Am Dienstag, den 18.10.2005, 13:39 -0700 schrieb Mark Knecht:
> > Hi,
> >    I'm playing around with some external 1394 drives. The purpose is
> > to find the best setup to allow a given drive to be mounted on my
> > Gentoo boxes, my last Win XP system and my new Mac Mini. Obviously not
> > all file system types are going to work everywhere. So far it seems
> > that only FAT32 is supported by all 3, but I cannot use FAT32, AFAICT,
> > due to path length name restrictions for instance.
> >
> >    Anyway, I've emerged the HFS+ tools package on Gentoo, but it turns
> > out that Apple's GUI will only put HFS+ on a 1394 drive that uses the
> > 'Apple Partition Scheme', and when I plug this drive into my Gentoo
> > box it tells me that it doesn't recognize the partition format.
> >
> >    In my kernel config I have included both:
> >
> >  <*> Apple Macintosh file system support (EXPERIMENTAL)
> >  <*> Apple Extended HFS file system support
>
> I'm not sure but wouldn't you need CONFIG_MAC_PARTITION (File Systems /
> Partition Types / Advanced Partition Selection) as well?

Thanks VERY much Heinz! I would have NEVER found that!

Before:

<SNIP>
> > SCSI device sdc: 160836480 512-byte hdwr sectors (82348 MB)
> > sdc: asking for cache data failed
> > sdc: assuming drive cache: write through
> > SCSI device sdc: 160836480 512-byte hdwr sectors (82348 MB)
> > sdc: asking for cache data failed
> > sdc: assuming drive cache: write through
> >  sdc: unknown partition table
> > Attached scsi disk sdc at scsi5, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
<SNIP>

After:

SCSI device sdc: 160836480 512-byte hdwr sectors (82348 MB)
sdc: asking for cache data failed
sdc: assuming drive cache: write through
SCSI device sdc: 160836480 512-byte hdwr sectors (82348 MB)
sdc: asking for cache data failed
sdc: assuming drive cache: write through
 sdc: [mac] sdc1 sdc2 sdc3 sdc4 sdc5 sdc6 sdc7 sdc8 sdc9 sdc10 sdc11
sdc12 sdc13 sdc14 sdc15
Attached scsi disk sdc at scsi6, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
lightning ~ #

Now, unfortunately the partition table it's showing for the drive
isn't correct. I created 5 partitions - it's showing 16! However, it's
a big step forward.

I'm going to try reformatting the drive on the mac and see if I can
find some config that will mount.

Thanks very much,
Mark