Mike Williams wrote:

> I'd imagine /dev/sdXY will exist under both udev and devfs, and be the same,
> they certainly always have done for me.

For whatever reason I couldn't get /dev/sda3 in fstab to work when I
originally installed Gentoo on this box many moons ago, I had to use
/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part3.  I never did figure out why.
 An ls yeilds:

# ls -al /dev/sd*
lr-xr-xr-x  1 root root 33 Oct 18 16:15 /dev/sda ->
scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/disc
lr-xr-xr-x  1 root root 34 Oct 18 16:15 /dev/sda1 ->
scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1
lr-xr-xr-x  1 root root 34 Oct 18 16:15 /dev/sda2 ->
scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part2
lr-xr-xr-x  1 root root 34 Oct 18 16:15 /dev/sda3 ->
scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part3

Is there some reason the symbolic links wouldn't have worked?

My fear is if I change my root in fstab to /dev/sda3 my 2.4 kernel
won't come back up, and at $125/hr I'm really trying to avoid getting
the NOC involved.

Is there any way to determine/test whether the configuration is going
to work under devfs and/or udev without actually rebooting?  After
editing /etc/fstab to /dev/sdaX I tried:

# mount -fav

And all it said was:

mount: none already mounted on /dev/shm
none on /proc type proc (rw)

But is that a true test of whether it is going to work on reboot?

> fstab doesn't have to take block devices, it can take labels too, you could
> look into labeling your partitions.

I'll look into that, but same question applies, is it possible to
verify my changes before I reboot?

Thanks Again!

Ian