Hi,

i made good experience with "Tree Style Tab" so far.
Source: https://github.com/piroor/treestyletab
https://addons.mozilla.org/de/firefox/addon/tree-style-tab/

As the name suggest it comes with more feature than tab-grouping. You get an
additional Tab bar in a tree style. One tab can have as many subtabs as you
like and you can hide all subtabs.

Since it is not designed to fully replace the normal tab bar you can hide it
with a shortcut.

Greetings
Khaosgrille