On Wed, 24 Oct 2018 10:29:03 +0100, Peter Humphrey wrote:

> Today's update of iptables to 1.8.1 failed here because I didn't have
> USE=nftables set. After setting that in package.use it was fine. Before
> I submit a bug report, though, I'd like to understand one thing:
>
> $ grep nftables $(equery w iptables)
> IUSE="conntrack ipv6 netlink nftables pcap static-libs"
>         nftables? (
>         nftables? (
>         nftables? ( net-misc/ethertypes )
>                 $(use_enable nftables)
>         use nftables && emake -C iptables xtables-config-parser.h
>         if use nftables; then
>
> Shouldn't that IUSE entry be enough to pull in nftables?

No, IUSE simply lists the USE flags relevant to the ebuild. The
dependencies are set in DEPEND, which contains

        nftables? (
                sys-devel/flex
                virtual/yacc
        )

It sounds like nftables should be in there too. this is with 1.8.0-r1,
which is the latest I have here after syncing at 0720 today.

--
Neil Bothwick

Q:  Why is top-posting evil?