Mick wrote:
> On Saturday, 3 November 2018 22:44:32 GMT Dale wrote:
>> Peter Humphrey wrote:
>>> In that case, from what I've seen I'd say you shouldn't even wonder about
>>> trinity. You'd have to go back a long way with all manner of programs, and
>>> even then perhaps not get everything you want.
>>>
>>> /2p
>> I installed KDE3 for a friend with a very low powered computer several
>> years ago.  At the time, it was in the sunset overlay.  Even then it was
>> a headache and took some effort to install.  Some newer programs outside
>> of KDE wanted newer versions of libs and KDE3 wanted older ones.  I had
>> to install older versions of several programs just to make KDE3 happy.
>> Given the changes that have been made over the years since, I doubt it
>> is doable.  I seem to recall that KDE3 wasn't well maintained back then
>> and figure it may even be worse now if it is maintained at all with
>> regards to Gentoo.
>>
>> If had to do a install today for a low powered system, I'd find
>> something besides KDE3 even tho I still miss some things about it too.
>> There's plenty of more maintained desktops out there to look at.
>>
>> Dale
>>
>> :-)  :-)
> I also liked KDE-3 more than anything which succeeded it from the KDE stable
> and have mourned its passing.  I also particularly liked Konqueror's
> integration with file management.  The current Konqueror maintainer is trying
> single-handedly to keep it running as a simple browser and does not have the
> (human) resources to recreate the FM functionality of KDE 3 on it.  He has
> asked for devs to join him, but had no takers.
>
> I've tried Trinity in the past, but at the time it was nowhere near developed
> enough to use on a daily basis.

Dolphin stopped allowing root access a while back.  When that happened,
I starting looking for another file manager that isn't constantly making
changes that don't work for me.  Currently I'm using Krusader.  It works
as root so I can edit files in /etc, /root and such.  While I get that
in most distros that setting may be good, it isn't for Gentoo where we
have to edit files as root.  I also have a couple others installed as a
backup to Krusader.

One thing that concerns me about Konqueror and KDE3, security issues.
Unless there is enough people involved to fix security issues, they
shouldn't be used at least for anything network/internet related
depending on the situation of course.  One should always consider
security fixes.

I suspect there isn't enough people wanting Trinity on Gentoo is the
reason it isn't available.  That said, if it was and was well
maintained, I'd certainly give it a look.  Sadly tho, I think
Trinity/KDE3 was be dying at some point.

Dale

:-)  :-)