On Wed, 19 Oct 2005, Michael Sullivan wrote:

Can this be done with genkernel?  I've always used genkernel in the
past.  All attempts at building and installing kernels manually have

yes you can use genkenel. I also use it. And it's wrong that genkernel is only for wimps :-). It's also for the lazy (saves you typing some commands).

You may run following commands, just a try:

# mv /etc/kernels/* /tmp
# genkernel --menuconfig kernel

In the menuconfig enable your sound-card as module if not allready:

Symbol: SND_HDA_INTEL [=m] Location:
  -> Device Drivers
     -> Sound
        -> Advanced Linux Sound Architecture
           -> Advanced Linux Sound Architecture (SND [=m])
              -> PCI devices

after this you have a fresh kernel in /boot. Make shure you have a line in your grub.conf like this:

title=GNU/Linux (2.6.13-gentoo-r3)
  root (hd0,1)
  kernel /boot/kernel-genkernel-x86-2.6.13-gentoo-r3 root=/dev/hda2

please adopt the root () statment, the root= paramter and the kernel version to your needs.

If not allready merge the gentoolkit:

# emerge gentoolkit

then look for alsa packages:

# equery list alsa*

It's ok to have installed media-libs/alsa-lib media-sound/alsa-utils and media-sound/alsa-headers. Make shure to remove sound/alsa-driver.

# emerge -C sound/alsa-driver

Configure /etc/modules.d/alsa. You just have to edit one line in this file. To get the orginal version type:

# cp /usr/portage/media-sound/alsa-utils/files/alsa-modules.conf-rc
/etc/modules.d/alsa

Then set the line to look like this: alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel

Finaly run:

# modules-update

Thats all. Cross your fingers and reboot.

Sascha.