On 12/1/18 11:21 PM, Daniel Frey wrote:
> I've been trying to clean up my machines (pruning world file, etc) and
> am making progress.
>
> I ran into one issue, that being on my server (mythtv, file, etc) I am
> normally in text/ssh mode but occasionally I need X for something.
>
> Does anyone have suggestions for a small-footprint window manager (I
> have no need for a full desktop environment) as twm is just fugly and
> sometimes not intuitive. I also don't need a file manager as I use
> Midnight Commander which works well for my needs. This all stems from
> occasionally needing a gui for configuring mythtv or the ability to have
> two shells open side by side.
>
> I am thinking others have most likely had this problem at some point and
> have found something that's lightweight for this type of purpose.
>
> Dan

Hello Dan:: lots of good suggestions. you can look in
/usr/portage/x11/wm (or whereevery /etc/portage/x11-wm for a listing of
what in the tree for smaller.

I have been wanting to try lumina::

https://lumina-desktop.org/features/

"does not require PolicyKit, HAL or systemd"

if you have a few/limited scope of codes to run, it might just be
what you are looking for......

good_hunting,

James