On Friday, 7 December 2018 18:46:54 GMT Manuel McLure wrote:

> I'd highly recommend getting a networked printer that supports Port 9100
> instead of a USB one - this allows you to use the same printer for all of
> your systems.

Nonsense. You just don't need a network interface if you don't have one. This
is Linux, not WinBloze.

I have an old Kyocera FS-1020D postscript printer which has just a USB
interface. I connect it to one machine and make it available from there to
others on the network. No problem. CUPS can do that.

(OT: A well known subscriber here very generously gave me a USB-network
interface box so that I could take the network route, but I'm afraid I haven't
got round to installing it yet because of another complication that's cropped
up, requiring a more-or-less complete rewiring of the whole bunch of systems.
My joints aren't as flexible as they used to be.)

--
Regards,
Peter.