On Mon, Jan 14, 2019 at 9:46 AM Bill Kenworthy <bi...@iinet.net.au> wrote:

> Hi Rich, unfortunately 4.18.20 is the last one that supports the ipts
> patch set (surface pro4 touch screen) ... its flaky, bu the earlier ones
> are even worse so going to a LT kernel isnt really useful.  I hope they
> can get a 4.19 or 4.20 patch set up soon, but apparently kernel changes
> have made it difficult. 4.19 without touch does work with only minor
> problems, but of course with no touch screen.

I'd put that in the "you know what you're doing" category - just meant
more as advice in general.

Yeah, I had that headache for a while with amdgpu + zfs.  Last
longterm didn't support it well, and zfs takes time to catch up with
new stable releases.  So I was hopping around on stable releases and
crossing my fingers a lot until 4.19.  Fortunately amdgpu has settled
down some - it was tending to panic quite a bit six months ago.

Once 4.19 has support then you should be set - just stick with that as
long as they continue to support it with fixes/etc.  Hopefully they'll
backport improvements until it is in mainline.

--
Rich