Hello, Rich.

I'd like to say hello again to everybody, just to mark that I'm still
here and still using Gentoo, and thank people for (a lot of) help
rendered in the past.  My system, used mainly for SW development, has
been stable and well behaved, with very occasional exceptions, for some
while now.

On Wed, Mar 06, 2019 at 11:51:47 -0500, Rich Freeman wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 6, 2019 at 11:31 AM Laurence Perkins <lperk...@openeye.net> wrote:

> > If it's just that the SSD is failing, then get a new one before
> > something important gets damaged and you have to redo the whole thing.

> IMO any kind of storage device should be treated as if it could fail
> at any time without warning.  You should have a plan for what you will
> do WHEN this happens, not IF it happens.

> If losing a storage device would result in you losing "something
> important" then you're doing it wrong.

> I keep all my spinning disks in some kind of RAID unless their
> contents are completely expendable (ie I won't be upset if I
> completely lose it).  For SSDs I generally do frequent rsync or
> zfs-send backups to a spinning disk - these are generally used for OS
> data which doesn't change as much anyway, and the backups are quick
> since they aren't large.  If I had large SSDs I'd run them in some
> sort of RAID.

> And of course anything I consider really important gets backed up to
> the cloud, encrypted.  RAID is more about avoiding downtime and the
> inconvenience of an offline restore.

On my new box, from 2017-04, I don't have any spinning disks (other than
the DVD burner).  I just have a pair of NVMe SSDs in a RAID 1
configuration, with everything bar /boot mirrored.

I back up once a week to one of two DVD+RWs (alternately), and encrypted
to a "cloud" service (what used to be known as a "computer bureau").

Up to now, I've never had a HDD or SDD fail on me.  :-)  I hope that
when this does eventually happen, I'll be prepared.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).