Manuel McLure wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 20, 2019 at 7:59 PM Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com
> <mailto:rdalek1...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Manuel McLure wrote:
>>     On Sat, Apr 20, 2019 at 7:12 PM Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com
>>     <mailto:rdalek1...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>         Howdy,
>>
>>         I'm looking at printers.  ...  This is the model.
>>         Brother HL-L3270CDW
>>

>>     Looking at the specs for that Brother printer (I don't know why
>>     you linked to the openprinting.org <http://openprinting.org> page
>>     for a Lexmark printer) it seems to have the most important aspect
>>     for Linux compatibility - PCL6 emulation (PostScript would also
>>     work, but you want to avoid anything that doesn't have one of
>>     those two). It also has normal port 9100 network connectivity, so
>>     it should work just fine under Linux for B/W. I can't find
>>     anything in the Openprinting database for that specific Brother
>>     printer, some of the other entries for Brother printers say you
>>     need a proprietary driver to get color out of them. The entry for
>>     the *HL-3170* says it works perfectly but gives no details. So
>>     I'd be a little wary going in.
>>
>>     As for duty cycle, 30,000 pages/month is the same that my old
>>     built-like-a-tank HP Laserjet 4Mp had, so I wouldn't worry about
>>     it. Note that the printer is going to come with "starter
>>     cartridges" that are only good for about 1000 pages, and that the
>>     drum is also a consumable that needs replacing after 18,000
>>     pages. But 18,000 pages is a lot.
>>     --
>>     Manuel A. McLure WW1FA <man...@mclure.org
>>     <mailto:man...@mclure.org>> <http://www.mclure.org>
>>     ...for in Ulthar, according to an ancient and significant law,
>>     no man may kill a cat.                       -- H.P. Lovecraft
>

>     I think I linked to the wrong page.  I was looking up a lot of
>     printers and must have got it mixed up.  Makes me wonder if I
>     picked the wrong printer too.  LOL  You are correct tho, it isn't
>     listed.  Time to find another printer.
>
>     Knowing about the PCL6 part will help.  I didn't know that would
>     be important.  Also, I'd rather have one that I can install with
>     CUPS and its drivers or HPLIP. It's been a while since I've had a
>     printer and switching to laser is something that is new territory
>     as well.
>
>     Question.  I see some that are regular laser printers.  Then I see
>     some that are laser jet.  Looking up the cartridges it seems to
>     use toner.  Another reason I want toner based is that if a page
>     gets wet or damp, the toner doesn't run like most ink jet printers
>     do.  Am I correct that a laser or a laser jet would serve that
>     purpose the same?  It seems it just uses a different method to put
>     the toner on the page or something.  I googled and what little I
>     found sort of makes me think that would be fine.
>
>     I'm open to ideas on this.  I've always bought HP in the past but
>     as long as it prints fine with either HPLIP or CUPS, I'm fine with
> [...]

That was my understanding as well on how those works.  Way back, a few
decades, I worked at a business that sold and serviced copiers and I
worked in the computer dept. that actually serviced computer printers,
all of them were black and white except for a few very expensive and
large color printers.  I suspect a lot has changed since then but
figured the basics are the same.  I just wasn't 100% sure about a laser
jet.  That was a new term.

I found this so far:

https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/6959616/Lexmark-C2325dw-Wireless-Color-Laser-Printer/

I found this only MUCH cheaper.  Same model but what a price
difference.  I live only a few miles from Walmart.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lexmark-C2325dw-Color-Laser-Printer/712505091

I like to find good deals and all but those two are the same right?
o_O  That seems to be a good printer.  It has a USB port.  I've never
used the ethernet thing for printing before and don't have wireless
here.  I might one day.  My biggest thing, finding a place to put the
thing.  I'm going to have to get a shelf for the printer, scanner and my
little trash can that sits beside my puter.  If this keeps up, I'll have
to find a smaller bed or move the bed out of my bedroom.  ROFL

Thanks much for explaining some things.

Dale

:-)  :-)