On October 21, 2005 02:30 pm, Allan Spagnol Comar wrote:
> sorry by the way I put it Jeff.... I got to angry when All my
> services stop working after an ( what should be simple ) update

Allan ,don't get me wrong - I"m not trying to "pin" you, I just want
to point out that computers and software tend to fail, so whenever
you're updating/upgrading one or the other you *have to* have backup
plan. In most scenarios having production machine means that you
*have to* have development machine working in parallel (ideally
identical to production machine in all respects) - any changes to
production machine should be tried/tested on development machine
first. Being sysadmin for about 7 years now I know that things do
happen and you have to be ready/prepeared for everything.

Another point is to go with the "lowest resistance" path - update only
GLSA's and do full-blown upgrades only when you plan them carefully
and test'em out on development box.

--
Dmitry Makovey
Web Systems Administrator