Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2019-04-26, Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> P. S.  Is there anything special I should do to make sure no one can
>> access my printer over the internet and do something bad?  Does the DSL
>> modem and router protect that by default?
> All the DSL modems I've ever seen were also NAT/router/firewalls, if
> that's the case, you should be OK.  It's _possible_ your modem is a
> bridge not a router/firewall.  If that's the case, then you
> _really_need_ to get a NAT/router/firewall to put between you modem
> and everything else on your network.
>
> --
> Grant

I do have a router, that's what the printer is connected too.  I can't
recall what it is called but remember the DSL modem is supposed to be
pretty secure on its own.  I think it can work in bridge mode or
router/whatever mode.  Now that I think about it, it's in router or
whatever mode because the login and password goes in the router if I put
the modem in bridge mode.  I put the router in for two reasons.  One,
sometimes I have a 2nd puter that needs internet access, usually when I
am working on someone else's puter.  2nd, it adds another layer of
security, I would hope anyway.  I've been using this for a good long
time and nothing weird has happened, yet anyway.  If my DVD tray starts
sliding in and out, that may require attention.  lol

I went to a website and got it to test my stuff once.  It said it was
secure.  It's been a while tho.

Dale

:-)  :-)