On 2019.05.12 14:01, Ralph Seichter wrote:
Hi folks,

I have come across blocked packages [1] before, but this time I am
having a hard time solving things. Accordings to the attached log, there
is a hard block of dev-python/setuptools_scm somewhere, preventing the
update of that package.

Could somebody point me in the way of resolving this issue? Thanks.

-Ralph

[1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:X86/Working/Portage#Blocked_packages

I just got through this.  I ended up doing
 emerge -C setuptools_scm
followed by
 emerge -1 setuptools_scm

There is a forum post about this https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-8334280.html.

The DEPEND line !!<dev-python/setuptools_scm-3 is in the 3.2.0 ebuild. My limited understanding is that the new version can't even successfully be built if the older version is present. I confirmed this by finding that even just building a binary package of 3.2.0 failed, although it wasn't clear to me what the old version had to do with that failure.

I hope there is either a bug filed, some sort of newsitem, or else someone finds a way for portage to just handle it by itself.

Jack