On Saturday, 18 May 2019 02:25:58 BST Frank Steinmetzger wrote:

> At some point in the future, my stationary PC will require a hardware
> refresh. At that point I will say goodbye to Intel. This is the only
> language companies understand.

Yes, Intel has been permanently erased as an option for any future computer
purchases of mine.

However, in the current oligopoly of hardware suppliers and their market carve
up, there isn't much/any choice for the retail consumer. The only CPU which
does not come with ME/PSP hardware backdoors built-in by design, is the
POWER9, which is an expensive server CPU.  No choice for laptops.

Unless big OEMs like Apple start exerting pressure on the CPU manufacturers to
secure their designs, I can't see them changing their strategy just because an
infinitesimally small number of users stopped buying their products.

> They’ve been getting ahead by developing
> features without due diligence and by cutting corners. And this is biting
> them in their behind now all the way back.

It's not just a matter of cutting corners and trying to remain competitive by
being first to market with shoddy products.  They have also consciously
decided to incorporate <aheam!> co-processors (OOB hypervisors) in their
chips, with no option of physically removing these, or at least fully
disabling or replacing the proprietary firmware blobs they have been running.
The concept of 'secure computing' with today's market offerings is increasing
showing itself to be an oxymoron.

--
Regards,
Mick