n952...@web.de wrote:
>> Gesendet: Donnerstag, 30. Mai 2019 um 00:20 Uhr
>> Von: "Dale" <rdalek1...@gmail.com>
>> I've done upgrades that skip quite a ways using make oldconfig.  I've
>> never had any issues.  If it were me, I'd just make the jump but make
>> sure to keep the old kernel around just in case something doesn't work.
>> At least that way one can boot it and fix it.
> good idea!
> Is the kernel enough?  Don't you have to have the initrd, and the modules
> list and all the modules and and and?

If you have one, yes you need to save that too.  The biggest thing, make
sure the entry is still in whatever bootloader you use.  I use grub and
it picks them up automatically when I run the updater.

>> ...  Switch to the
>> new17.1 profile, run emerge -puDN world and see if the changes look OK.
>> If you don't like or it breaks something, switch to 17.0 and run emerge
>> -puDN world and see what it looks like.  Pick the one that you feel
>> safest with.  ...
> I haven't a clue what unsafe is...

I haven't tested the 17.1 profile yet.  If you are unsure, I'd just use
17.0 and wait until 17.1 is released.

Dale

:-)  :-)