Hi Matt,

On Sunday, 9 June 2019 08:49:21 BST Matthias Hanft wrote:
> Hi,
>
> many years ago, I created some libSomething.so with Kylix 3 (1)
> which still worked with current (32bit) Gentoo systems (Kernel
> 4.14.83).
>
> Using "revdep-rebuild.sh" (the *old* script!), for some time,
> I already got messages like
>
> broken /usr/local/lib/libxercesxmldom.so.1
> /usr/local/lib/libxercesxmldom.so.1 (symbol __pthread_atfork version
> GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file libpthread.so.0 with link time reference
> symbol __pthread_initialize version GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file
> libpthread.so.0 with link time reference)
>
> but everything worked fine anyway ("libxercesxmldom" is part of
> Borland's standard runtime libraries).

Did you try the new revdep-rebuild in case it works (better)?

> However, after upgrading glibc from 2.27 to 2.28 (or newer), this
> is not true any more: Compiling and running a C program using the
> old Kylix libSomething.so libraries causes Segmentation fault, and
> Apache using a PHP extension which calls those libraries won't start
> at all any more.
>
> For recompiling the Kylix libSomething.so libraries, I'm keeping
> alive a Suse 8.1 Linux (2) in VirtualBox (Kernel 2.4.19).
>
> Do you see any chance to keep those Kylix libraries alive and
> running? If it would help, I'd try to install the old Kylix on
> a current Gentoo system and try to recompile there (although
> I guess Kylix won't run on a current Kernel any more - if it
> can be installed at all).
>
> Switching to another (Pascal-/Delphi-/Lazarus-/etc.) Compiler
> is not an option because the .so libraries are in fact "packages"
> (BPL, a special Borland library version).
>
> Is there any possibility for some "binary interface/gateway" to
> use those libraries any more, or do I have to reprogram the
> whole functionality with PHP?
>
> -Matt
>
> (1) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borland_Kylix
> (2) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SUSE_Linux#SUSE_distributions

I am not familiar with the particular software and wouldn't know how to keep
it alive on a present day Gentoo system - other than building Gentoo using an
old snapshot and installation media, perhaps in a VM and using additional
packages of the same era from the attic in a local overlay.

Someone else may be able to offer useful advice, but I would think this is
more of a question suitable for the gentoo-dev mailing list[1] and IRC
channel[2].  Have you tried asking there?