Is there a command to show the fields like DESCRIPTION and HOMEPAGE from
an installed ebuild, or is this one of the annoying gaps in the
framework that must be (and can be) trivially worked around?

Example: I have installed x11-terms/rxvt-unicode.  I don't know what it
is (no, really! :-P ) and I sure as h*ll don't know the exact version
number I have.  I want to visit the upstream website to learn more.

I know the following command will mostly do it, but it will
occassionally show too much and scroll the relevant result off the
screen.  Also, being a search, it is much slower than necessary.

emerge --search --quiet n x11-terms/rxvt-unicode