On Saturday, 22 June 2019 08:52:56 BST Jorge Almeida wrote:

> There is a dev-libs/libtermkey, which I don't have installed.

I don't have this installed either.  I suppose it does not affect the drawing
behavior.

> However,
> my urxvt behaves as you describe, more or less:
> - open urxvt
> - cat some file with long  enough lines
> - lines wrap
> - shrink window (horizontally)
> - contents are NOT redrawn (just like xterm)

OK, we have a difference in behaviour here.  In my urxvt lines longer than the
window shrinking width are redrawn and wrap into the next line.

> - restore window size

Wrapped lines will now unwrap to take up the increasing window width.  Unlike
xterm, no characters are truncated/lost in urxvt.

> - cat same file, etc
> - contents are now redrawn properly!
>
> It appears urxvt does the job by itself (minus what seems to be a bug)

Jorge, your urxvt seems to work differently to my installations here.
Nevertheless, I'm coming to the conclusion xterm won't behave in the same/
similar way as urxvt when it comes to redrawing its window contents.

--
Regards,
Mick