On Thu, 27 Jun 2019 12:42:56 +0100
Mick <michaelkintz...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thursday, 27 June 2019 10:55:16 BST Mick wrote:
>
> > The next thing to try:
> >
> > I don't have elogind starting up as a boot level rc service,
> > because it is launched when needed by dbus or pam.  Perhaps if
> > elogind is running as a background service sddm will (re)launch
> > differently?
>
> I just tried it and it works.  :-)
>
> With elogind running as a boot service, sddm launches with the
> Shutdown/Reboot buttons shown and they work as expected.  However, as
> I do not have a /usr/ bin/loginctl, all I can assume is irrespective
> of the HaltCommand path specified in the default sddm config, when
> launched sddm searches all paths and eventually finds /bin/loginctl,
> which it runs when a button is pressed.
>
> As we've established with no -elogind +consolekit the commands
> specified in the default sddm config file are different.  Also, with
> consolekit being a default rc service, it is running at the time sddm
> is launched.

I use openrc, so I have sddm installed with -elogind -systemd
+consolekit +pam.  Putting consolekit in the default runlevel does make
the buttons work the first time sddm is launched, on reboot.

Without the conosolekit service in the default runlevel, the buttons
are greyed out after reboot, but restarting xdm some time after booting,
still without consolekit running, makes the buttons come alive and
work.  So there's something in play other than consolekit for me.

(I don't actually need to sort this out -- I'm just curious.)