Alt-Control-R should switch between normal rendering and Reader mode.
All the documentation available including the "tooltip" that pops up
when I hover my mouse over the Reader icon agrees.

And yet, in the File menu, there is an item "Restart (Developer)" with
the same shortcut.  And when I in fact press this key combo, this is
what happens: Firefox restarts.  I have no use for this, while the
Reader shortcut is moderately useful.

I haven't seen the Restart menu item before, I think it appeared with
the last stable Firefox upgrade (60.7.2).  Is this a problem with
upstream or the Gentoo package?  Can it be worked around, without
leaving _all_ developer features out?