On Tuesday, 13 August 2019 10:19:23 BST Peter Humphrey wrote:

> I'm using my ISP's SMTP server with the same settings as usual. KMail
> detected them itself

Yes, it does the same here, when I ask it to detect what Gmail wants to use,
... then it fails when it tries to set up a XOAUTH2 token via akonadi's
plugin.

I succeeded by selecting manually individual authentication settings and
trying them one at a time.

> Let's see if this goes out, after I spent two days rebuilding the whole
> system from scratch and setting up yet another new account for myself. I've
> also tried switching from MySQL to PostgreSQL for storage; so far I see
> little change.

I've received this fine, via the list, so whatever you've done appears to have
worked.

MySQL used to be problematic in the early days of akonadi, or perhaps it was
akonadi itself to blame.  I've used both MySQL and PostgreSQL.  I can't say
I've noticed a difference, except PostgreSQL upgrades being somewhat more
involved between major releases.  However, this may have something to do with
the way I had unnecessarily complicated its installation and configuration.

--
Regards,

Mick