On 8/19/19 5:24 AM, Raffaele Belardi wrote:

Make sure you are using a kernel set up for openrc.

Good catch, although I'm not sure where to find that info in the available kernel log. I'll look better, I need to stop it from scrolling.

Did you update grub and remove the init= line that starts systemd?

In /etc/rc.conf set up a log file and temporarily enable logging.  If any
openrc scripts fail and can't boot, you will able to look at the logs when you
chroot back into it - using less/cat/plain text editor.  ;-)

Good idea.

I hope the above should allow you to boot, or at least arrive at some
meaningful failure message to resolve.

One of the last things printed in the kernel log is "random: crng init done". The random service is part (possibly the last service) of the boot runlevel which is entered after the sysinit runlevel. So apparently a lot of openrc stuff has already started successfully. Instead, nothing from the default runlevel is output. I'll re-check those services.

Hmm, is it possible that it's waiting for entropy? Try moving the mouse like a madman for 20 seconds or so.

Dan