On 10/14/19 7:47 AM, Grant Edwards wrote:
On 2019-10-12, Daniel Frey <djqf...@gmail.com> wrote:

I've run into this many times, whenever portage asks me to update itself
after a sync I always run `emerge -a portage gentoolkit` to merge them
both so this error doesn't happen.

I ran into this for the first time last week, and I tinkered for an
embarassingly long time before it dawned on me that simply emerging
portage and gentoolkit together was the answer.  It does seem like a
bit of a bug when emerge tells you to run command "whatever", and when
you do emerge tells you it can't do "whatever".

I remember the first time this happened to me some years ago I was thinking it'd be nice if there was a way to tell portage to update direct reverse dependencies. Something like `emerge -1uaR portage` that would tell emerge to update portage and gentoolkit as a reverse dependency. Of course the '-R' option doesn't exist. :)

Dan